The Type Design Intensive is a comprehensive two day workshop exploring and demystifying each phase of the font development process, from concept to completion. The session covers analog and digital processes, best practices and workflows, clever tricks that save time while improving quality, and much more. Whether you’re an absolute beginner or have some font development experience, the Type Design Intensive will provide the visual and technical insights you need to jumpstart and realize your font projects.
The Type Design Intensive includes more than 40 lesson modules with focus on these topics:
• Optimizing and importing analog art
• Prepping Illustrator vectors for font development
• Key principles of letter composition
• Vector construction standards and techniques
• Optimal workflows and software configurations
• Letterfit principles and practice
• Common font development issues and how to avoid them
• Basic font mastering and iterative proofing
• Licensing and distribution options for digital type
• The in-depth workshop: 10 hours over two days.
• An accompanying digital reader, Typeface Development: Essential Principles and Processes, recapping (and expanding on) the workshop’s lessons and techniques.
• A 30-minute personal follow up consult (via Skype, phone or in person). Ideal for any questions once you’ve started on your own type project.
• An excellent selection of PSY/OPS fonts ($275+ value).
• Snacks & refreshments; Wi-Fi and other amenities. SOFTWARE We’ll use FontLab Studio 5 for font development. PLEASE BRING A Mac or Windows laptop with FontLab Studio 5 pre-installed (demo version at minimum; full version if possible). :: If you have existing artwork you’d like to use for the workshop, we encourage you to bring it in. We’ll help you get it set up. PREREQUISITES No prior experience with lettering, type design or graphic design is necessary — though it can’t hurt to have it. All skill levels are welcome! Mainly bring your interest to learn, and your love of type and letters. DIFFICULTY LEVEL Basic to Intermediate. APPROACH The workshop sessions consist of informational briefs, demos and walkthroughs, and hands-on exercises. This workshop packs in a lot of information, but it is conducted in an easygoing, conversational manner. Open Q&A is encouraged throughout. INSTRUCTOR Rod Cavazos is Principal Designer at PSY/OPS Type Foundry. He has designed type systems for world class clients and brands for over 20 years. He is an Adjunct Professor at California College of the Arts where he’s taught the acclaimed Type Design Studio for 10 years. FORMAT Small group intensive. Ten hours. SIZE Ten seats. Early registration recommended. LOCATION
PSY/OPS Type Foundry
944 Market Street, Studio 504
San Francisco CA 94102 Conveniently located near Powell Street BART and MUNI. There are several parking garages in the area: Mission/Fifth, Ellis/O’Farrell. The nearest is across the street on Mason, at Hotel Metropolis ($15–$25 flat rate valet). Long-term street parking is not available in this neighborhood. TERMS & CONDITIONS Please read our Terms & Conditions before registering, and contact us if you have any questions. STUDENT PRICING is made available to students actively enrolled in 12 or more units (or equivalent). A photo ID and proof of enrollment will be requested after you register. :: If you are a student taking fewer than 12 units; have recently graduated; are an instructor; or have other circumstances that bear special consideration, please contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss them.
TYPE DESIGN INTENSIVE
Date to be announced
Email us for details