The Type Design Intensive is a comprehensive two day workshop exploring each phase of the font development process, from concept to completion. The sessions cover analog and digital processes, best practices and workflows, special tricks that save time while improving quality, and much more. Registration also includes a one-on-one follow-up session. Whether you’re an absolute beginner or have some font development experience, the Type Design Intensive will provide the visual and technical insights you need to jumpstart your font projects.
SOFTWARE We’ll use FontLab Studio 5: the current industry standard for font development. PLEASE BRING A Mac or Windows laptop, preinstalled with FontLab Studio 5 (demo version at minimum; full version if possible). :: If you have existing artwork you’d like to use for the workshop, we encourage you to bring it in.
• The informative workshop: 12 hours total, over two days.
• A half-hour follow-up consult. Perfect for any questions you might have after the workshop.
• Snacks & refreshments
• Lunch provided on Day 2
• An excellent selection of PSY/OPS fonts
• Type-inspired art cards and goodies
• Wi-Fi and other amenities PREREQUISITES No prior experience with lettering, type design or graphic design is necessary — though it can’t hurt to have it. All skill levels are welcome! Mainly bring your interest to learn, and your love of type and letters. DIFFICULTY LEVEL Basic to Intermediate. APPROACH The workshop sessions consist of informational briefs, demos and walkthroughs, videos and hands-on exercises. This workshop packs in a lot of information, but it is conducted in an easygoing, conversational manner. Open Q&A is encouraged throughout. INSTRUCTOR Rod Cavazos is Principal Designer at PSY/OPS Type Foundry. He has designed typefaces for world class clients and brands for 20 years. He is an Adjunct Professor at California College of the Arts where he’s taught the popular Type Design Studio for 9 years. He is also Chief Tinkerer at Glyfyx Inc, a startup dedicated to the development of letter-based toys, games and art objects. FORMAT Small group intensive. Twelve hours. SIZE Ten seats. Early registration recommended. LOCATION
Alphabetic Order Salon
at PSY/OPS Type Foundry
944 Market Street, Studio 504
San Francisco CA 94102 Conveniently located near Powell Street BART and MUNI. There are several parking garages in the area: Mission/Fifth, Ellis/O’Farrell. The nearest is across the street on Mason, at Hotel Metropolis ($15 flat rate valet). Long-term street parking is not available in this neighborhood. STUDENT PRICING is made available to students actively enrolled in 12 or more units (or equivalent). A photo ID and proof of enrollment will be requested after you register for a class. :: If you are a student taking fewer than 12 units; have recently graduated; are an instructor; or have other circumstances that require special consideration, please contact us to discuss them.
SOFTWARE We’ll use FontLab Studio 5: the current industry standard for font development.
PLEASE BRING A Mac or Windows laptop, preinstalled with FontLab Studio 5 (demo version at minimum; full version if possible). :: If you have existing artwork you’d like to use for the workshop, we encourage you to bring it in.REGISTRATION INCLUDES